Saturday, May 15, 2010

To create one's world in any of the arts takes courage
- Georgia O'Keeffe

Radiator Building - Georgia O'Keeffe


I was a freshman in college when I first heard "It's of My Nature" on Scarub's album Fact of the Matter. Scarub's telling of the fable, the Fox and the Scorpion, caught my attention and brought a distinct, surreal picture to my mind... it was only a matter of time before the image would end up on canvas...10 years later.



The Fox and the Scorpion - Mpulse


My attempts to write about my art end up reading like a college thesis statement... and there is no reason to subject anyone to that style of writing. But I do feel like my art needs a little explanation. I will follow up on this when I finish the collection that I am working on. So far the only piece that I have completed is the Fox and the Scorpion.

My newest body of work reflects my current interests in urban style and culture but for the most part, my subject matter is largely organic. Georgia O'Keeffe has long been an inspiration of mine. Her suggestive still lives intrigue me, but it's the work that she did when she was my age, in NYC before she moved to the desert, that relates to the art that I am creating now. In the past, I looked for subject matter at the botanical garden or the green belt in Austin. Now, I pay attention to the words scribbled along the South 1st Street bridge.


I included Georgia O'Keeffe's art in this post because she is a major inspiration of mine. She was a beautiful artist who made a catastrophic impact in an artistic world that was ruled by men and she paved the way for women to feel confident producing important art alongside them.

Yellowjackets and Pearls - Mpulse

Jenny's Bird - Mpulse
Sunspots on the Shelton, study - Mpulse



Sunsponts on the Shelton - Georgia OKeeffe




Georgia O'Keeffe
Image courtesy of
http://www.tfaoi.com/cm/3cm/3cm423.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment